Sunday, January 4, 2009

british battle cruiser hood photos

Construction of Hood began at the John Brown & Company shipyards in Clydebank, Scotland, on 1 September 1916
hms hood is one of four Admiral class battlecruisers ordered in mid-1916 under the Emergency War Programme
HMS HOOD "Factoids"

Callsign: GECV

Pendant number: 51
Displacement: 1918: 45,200 long tons (45,900 t) full load;
1940: 48,360 long tons (49,140 t) full load
Length: 860 ft 7 in (262.3 m)
Beam: 104 ft 2 in (31.8 m)
Draught: 33 ft 1 in (10.1 m)

Public Nickname: The "Mighty Hood"
Crew Nickname: "The Seven Bs" ("Britain's Biggest Bullsh*ttingest B*stard Built By Brown")

Original construction cost was £6,025,000 (of which John Brown & Company, Ltd, reportedly made £214,108.00)

One of the few ships that possessed her own chapel

380 telephones at the time of her loss

3,874 electric light fittings (per late 1930s information)

Nearly 200 miles of permanent electric cable (weighing 100 tons)

General provisions for 4 months amounted to 320 tons, including one month's fresh meat

Breakfast consisted of 100 gallons of tea, four sides of bacon, 300 Ibs of tomatoes, 600 Ibs bread, 75 Ibs of butter

Monthly payroll was approximately £6,000

Fuel consumption at full speed was 3 yards to the gallon

Three times around the ships was one mile

Longest warship completed for Royal Navy to date


Bookmark and Share